Thursday, March 29, 2007

HARD COVER: A MODEST READING

The culture of reading books is designed very much as an elitist institution. It still shocks me the amount of pretense, which surrounds the simple object of a book. First comes the hardcover, usually endowed with the removable backing, because the elite, above all else, must be in control of their visibility. “You will know what I am reading, only when I decide you should, if I decide to show you.” All this to say that in the way books are packaged, as an object, and as a culture, it is only truly respectful of those who read hardcover. Those people who can afford these ridiculously expensive instruments of glamour, which is to say, hardcover is reading for those who want to ‘read and think,’ not ‘read and do.’ Black folks cannot afford to ‘read and think.’

I come upon this mode of thinking; or rather this mode of thinking has been crystallized, by my recent first time reading of Lerone Bennett Jr’s ‘The Challenge Of Blackness.’ The role of the oppressed in any society, Bennett asserts, is to continually fight against his situation with all the tools he has acquired with his personal and communal history. So when I get on the subway, it is my duty to discomfort the white man in his two-piece Armani, on his way to work for ING Direct. It is my job to make him read the cover of my book and see the words ‘The Challenge of Blackness.’ Not only must he read these words, but he must see brother Bennett on the cover with his afro, beard and pipe. He must see these things and he must in the moment, question his whiteness and question all the active decisions he makes for that day to live as a white man in America. Whether or not this action will achieve all those lofty goals, it is my duty to carry it out.

But my edition of ‘The Challenge Of Blackness’ does not allow for such “revolutionary” action. In order to preserve the value of my book (value based completely on aesthetics, which is completely counter productive as it only protects the books contents as a secondary goal), I must remove the cover; I must be the modest reader. I say ban hardcover, print it all in paperback, leather bindings and hard, illusive backings are for bibles and theology, mysteries. Social education, which I consider anything written outside all the scriptures of all the religions, cannot be a mystery. I’d like to see what everyone is reading on the subway so I can, in the least, judge him or her for being ignorant. (But in earnest that is not my primary concern). I’d just like to make my mark as the guy on the subway reading ‘The Challenge Of Blackness,’ because it says to a sleepy world, ‘there are Black people out there, average Black people, reading important things, so sleep with one eye open because come morning, they might be holding congress hostage and demanding your very soul be washed clean.’

As I write this entry, it disturbs me that I cannot now find this book’s cover image on the internet to share with you, heaven only knows the luck that thrust the book into my hands. I’m all for starting a reading circle, each one teach one, read it and then mail it to the next person in the circle, I’m sure Bennett would appreciate that attempt at unifying a community, even on such a local level.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah OK,

You've crossed the line this time. I will go along with you insofar as admitting there is a 'challenge of blackness', but is it so encompassing that it eliminates any spare time Black people have for 'reading to understand'? Um no... maybe you negroes should stop watching UPN long enough to pick up a book.

Furthermore, how can you honestly advocate ending the circulation of hardcover books? If the copy of the book that you're currently reading weren't in fact hardcover it wouldn't have survived long enough for you to read it. Hardcover books exist for 1 reason - despite all of your racial conspiracy theories: because hardcover books last longer, and can take more wear and tear. Now perhaps if you want to get your negroid hands on a science book instead of a joint, and invent some sort of space age cheap and flexible plastic based material that can stand up better than paper - be my guest. Until then deal with hardcover.

Finally, why do I have time to 'read for understanding' just because I'm white? If anything I need to spend more of my free time oppressing your ig'nant ass.


...negro please.


If anything you're on the road to creating some sort of Sugarhill elitist 'Black' group of people who show the 'oppressor' how badly he is oppressed by reading racial books on the train... oooo - maybe I'll stop reading the WSJ long enough to care - oops, no the massive amounts of money I make on a day to day are a bit more important.

So yea go ahead and blame me for all of your trivial problems (ie the existence of hardcover books) that'll just make me feel better about ignoring the real issues. In fact, I actually don't even care anyway. So go ahead and read your books in public, and blog about how race is responsible for all of your problems... I hope it makes you feel better - because thats about all its good for.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, 'encompassing,' that's a nice way to put it, I myself like, 'fucked up and without reasonable hope for survival within my life time, so it makes sense that I should constantly experience this back and forth of hope and hopelessness.' But then again, that's not sexy.

I personally will blame the white man, as an institution (if you don't know what I mean by that, go ask your token black friend) for every single problem the poor, or non-white people of this world ever experience, that's just how it is; what do I say to the "good" white folk? Taking my shit is job one for you, that my friend is the contract your ancestors signed for your soul, how the hell is that my problem to fix? Look within my white brethren, look within.

And of course the white man with the healthy unemployment rate is talking to a black man about making "massive amounts of money." I suppose you'd rather the black man stay 'in his place' while he complains about your racist soul. Make some money, read a book, and you're an elitist, and not even good money, all you need is a job and a little intellect, and you're an elitist. These crackers will give themselves a stroke finding new ways to call you white so that you are essentially castrated as a meanningful black perspective.

It is like brother Bennett says, the best smoke-screen the oppressor will ever build is a fun-house reflection which makes the oppressed seem more like the root than the symptom of the completely fetid disease that is racism.

I've got no time for your self-hating ass!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day you negros will realize that I don't care about your 'struggle', and I never will... despite how much you try to throw it in my face.

I recently had an opportunity to see a great documentary entitled 'Colored Frames' in which a talented young colored man states 'The issues will always be the issues, the politics will always be the politics... so what are you going to do about it? Thats the question, what are you going to do about it?'

My answer: absolutely nothing

...I hope yours includes more than 'keep complaining'

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]